The 2018 6th Annual TC Surfski Immersion Vacation
May 31st – June 3rd 2018
Please Send Us an E-mail to Register Now
12 Time World Champion Oscar Chalupsky will be returning this year as the lead instructor for the TC SURFSKI Immersion Vacation. Oscar joined us for the first time last year and made an already great Immersion even better. We are super excited to have him returning once more. Rob Hartman, Greg Greene, and Nick Murray will also be assisting throughout the long weekend to help ensure all students receive considerable attention.
This will be our 6th consecutive year running the Immersion and each year we hone it just a little bit more. 2018 will be no exception. The Immersion is designed to cater to the full spectrum of paddlers from absolute beginner to advanced, and in fact, we tend to have more beginners than not, so please do no feel intimidated if you are just starting out on your Surfski Journey! We want you to come and we promise it will accelerate your learning and enjoyment of the sport ten fold.
This year we will have set plans to break out the intermediate/advanced paddlers for as much downwind paddling as mother nature will provide. We will stage downwind paddles if we get wind from the N, NE, S, SE, SW. If we get NW, W, or E wind we will have out and back surfing. If there is no wind, we’ll have boat wake surfing.
Beyond the incredible instruction, what has made the Immersion so special is the camaraderie and casual time built in over the weekend, which allows for the opportunity to get to know your fellow paddlers and build bonds that last a lifetime. If you’ve never been to the Leelanau Peninsula in Northern Michigan, you are certain to be blown away by the myriad of breathtaking water everywhere. Truly a surfski paddler’s paradise and one of the best venues in the world for such an event.Accommodations: For the 6th Consecutive Year, we will use the Hilltop Log Lodge for the Immersion. This is a beautiful and truly one of a kind 7000 sq foot log lodge that sleeps up to 14. The lodge itself is 100% first class luxury and has some of the best views in Northern Michigan. This will serve as our “base of operations”. Unfortunately we can no longer sleep all of the students at the Lodge, but below are some alternative lodging options that are very special in their own right. Alternative Lodging Options: The Whaleback Inn located just a 1/4 mile south of Leland is a super quaint and cozy compound in the woods overlooking North Lake Leelanau. They offer single rooms as well as a 6 person cottage which would work well for a group of paddlers to share. It is about a twenty minute drive to the Hilltop Log Lodge, but is located very close to where we will likely do most of our paddling in Leland The M22 Inn is located less than a mile down the road from the Hilltop Log Lodge. This is a great option if you want to minimize drive time to and from the Lodge If you prefer to be surrounded by vineyards and horses in a top notch luxury setting, check out Black Star Farms which is located just 2.5 miles down the road from the Hilltop Log Lodge
- Pizza and Salad will be provided for dinner on Thursday at the lodge, following a group introductory paddle
- Gourmet sandwiches and snack will be provided for lunch on Friday
- A group dinner will be organized at Hop A Lot Brewery in Suttons Bay on Friday Night (meal / drinks not included)
- A sandwich and salad bar style lunch will be provided on Saturday at the Lodge
- A grand finale dinner will be held on Saturday at the Lodge. The main course will be provided. Paddlers are welcome to contribute their own sides, snacks, drinks
- Please plan to bring your own additional food, snacks, and drinks as needed. The lodge is fully stocked with a gourmet kitchen and grill.
- Thursday Evening: Casual group paddle on West Bay in front of the Lodge with a chance for the coaches to do an initial assessment of the group, meet everyone, and generally just get out and get loose after a day of travel. If we have wind, intermediate/advanced paddlers will have the option of a downwind or out and back surfing.
- Friday Morning: We will start at the lodge with coffee and about an hour of basic technique instruction, paddle setup and boat setup. We’ll then have students take turns on the Lawler Slider to hone the technique concepts.
- Friday Afternoon: Following the morning session, we’ll head to Nedows Bay Beach on North Lake Leelanau for a picnic lunch. Following lunch Oscar will lead the paddlers through a series of drills in the water with the paddle, then in the boat. Once Oscar is satisfied that the technique drills are thoroughly ingrained, we’ll transition to remounts, and have some fun with short race drills combining remounts and other safety skills.
- Note: If the waves are up on Friday afternoon, the intermediate/advanced group will head out for downwind instruction.
- Saturday Morning: Last year we added in a session on diet, nutrition, and overall health, that was very well received and had a significant positive impact on several of the students. We’ll plan to have that session again this year along with discussion on strength, conditioning, and race training. Additionally last year on Saturday night, Oscar provided a downwind video review and analysis. This year, we’ll have that session mid morning on Saturday before we head out for the surfing session in the afternoon.
- Saturday Afternoon: We’ll head back up to Leland in search of waves on Lake Michigan. The beginners will do out and back paddles from the beach. The intermediate/advanced paddlers will be shuttled for a downwind if conditions permit. If there is no wind and waves, we will line up a ski boat on North Lake Leelanau to surf behind
- Saturday Post Dinner: Free form discussion with Oscar and video review and analysis
Thursday Afternoon / Evening
- 5:00 – 6:30 pm “Loosen up” paddle (location TBD based on weather/wind)
- 7:30 – 10:00 pm Meet and greet at the lodge (Pizza and Salad provided)
- 7:30 – 10:00 pm – Shopping Hours – all gear (excluding boats) will be available for purchase at 15% off
- 8:30 – 10:30 Coffee at the lodge, dry-land instruction, paddle setup, boat setup, & boat handling
- 10:30-11:30 Technique practice on the Lawler Slider
- 11:30 – 12:30 Drive to Nedows Beach
- 12:30 – 1:15 Picnic Lunch (provided)
- 1:15 – 4:30 Technique drills and safety session
- 6:30-9:00 Dinner at Hop-A-Lot
- 8:30-10:15 Diet, nutrition, supplements, tools, training regimes
- 10:30 – 12:00 Downwind video analysis
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
- 1:30 – 5:00 Surfing Instruction (wind waves or boat wakes weather dependent)
- 7:00 – 9:00 Grand finale potluck dinner at the Lodge (main course provided)
- 9:00 – ?? More Video review & stories with Oscar at the lodge
- West Bay – Hilltop / Lee Point – 2 minutes from lodge
- North Lake Leelanau 20 minutes from lodge
- Leland (open lake Michigan) – 20 minutes from lodge
What to Bring
The Northern Michigan weather can do almost anything this time of year, but consistently we’ve seen average air temperatures peaking around 70 degrees. However the larger bodies of water are consistently still quite cold. I would estimate temperatures in the high 40s to low 50s. I recommend bringing .5 – 1.5 mm neoprene for the flat water inland lake sessions. For Lake Michigan, I recommend 3 mm neoprene or lightweight drysuits, 3mm booties, and a neoprene or hydra fleece hat.
Summary of What is Included with the Immersion Camp Package:
- A minimum of 12 hours of Oscar Chalupsky educating (and entertaining) with a determination that few can match. He won’t stop until it permeates every cell in your body!
- Dinner on Thursday and Saturday Night
- Lunch on Friday and Saturday
- TC SURFSKI Immersion T-shirt (first time we’ve offered this)
- Shuttling for downwinds (provided we have wind)
- 15% off all gear and accessories sold by TC SURFSKI (boats not included)
- 3 days with the kindest, most interesting, and passionate people you will ever meet
Please Send Us an E-mail to Register Now