The 2019 7th Annual TC Surfski Immersion Vacation
June 13th – June 16th 2019
Please Send Us an E-mail to Register Now
12 Time World Champion Oscar Chalupsky will be returning for the third year as the lead instructor for the TC SURFSKI Immersion Vacation. We are super excited to have him returning once more. Rob Hartman, Greg Greene, and Nick Murray will also be assisting throughout the long weekend to help ensure all students receive considerable attention.
This will be our 7th consecutive year running the Immersion and each year we hone it just a little bit more. 2019 will be no exception. The Immersion is designed to cater to the full spectrum of paddlers from absolute beginner to advanced, and in fact, we tend to have more beginners than not, so please do not feel intimidated if you are just starting out on your Surfski Journey! We want you to come and we promise it will accelerate your learning and enjoyment of the sport ten fold.
This year we will have set plans to break out the intermediate/advanced paddlers for as much downwind paddling as mother nature will provide. We will stage downwind paddles if we get wind from the N, NE, S, SE, SW. If we get NW, W, or E wind we will have out and back surfing. If there is no wind, we’ll have boat wake surfing.
Beyond the incredible instruction, what has made the Immersion so special is the camaraderie and casual time built in over the weekend, which allows for the opportunity to get to know your fellow paddlers and build bonds that last a lifetime. If you’ve never been to the Leelanau Peninsula in Northern Michigan, you are certain to be blown away by the myriad of breathtaking water everywhere. Truly a surfski paddler’s paradise and one of the best venues in the world for such an event.Accommodations: It is bittersweet that we say goodbye to the Hilltop Log Lodge this year as we transition to the Leland Lodge in downtown Leland. The lodge offers 17 rooms (3 different options) and two multi-room cottages. It has a full service bar and restaurant, and is a 5 minute walk to downtown Leland (referred to as the “Aspen of the Midwest”) with boutique shops, restaurants, and the infamous Fishtown. Additionally it is situated in a paddler’s paradise with an inland lake, river, and open lake Michigan all within a 5 minute walk.
This lodging arrangement will better accommodate non-paddling spouses and family if they want to join. It also happens to be Father’s Day Weekend, so a great opportunity for a family vacation. Non-paddlers will have many options to enjoy their time including spectacular hikes, golfing, a new flow designed mountain bike trail (10 miles away), world class road biking, wine tasting, and beaches galore. Additionally, there is a low key community run Sprint and Olympic distance triathlonon Saturday (team options) just 200 yards from the Lodge.Please contact the Leland Lodge (Phone: 231 256-9848) directly to book your lodging and request the TC SURFSKI Group Rate. There are 4 different room options as well as the 2 family cottages. If you are solo and would like to share a room, please let us know and we’ll help coordinate a match. Cost for the Immersion Vacation is: $600 (excluding Lodging)
- A buffet dinner and cash bar will be provided on Thursday at the Leland Lodge, following the group introductory paddle
- Gourmet sandwiches and snack will be provided for lunch on Friday
- Friday evening will be a chance to explore other restaurants in the area as you will be on your own dinner
- A grand finale buffet dinner and cash bar will be held on Saturday at the Lodge.
- You will be on your own for breakfast and dinner on Friday, and breakfast and lunch on Saturday. The Leland Lodge has a full service restaurant and there are additional restaurants, sandwich shops, and a grocery store within a 5 minute walk.
- Thursday Evening: Casual group paddle on Lake Michigan or North Lake Leelanau (depending on conditions) with a chance for the coaches to do an initial assessment of the group, meet everyone, and generally just get out and get loose after a day of travel. If we have wind, intermediate/advanced paddlers will have the option of a downwind or out and back surfing.
- Friday Morning: We will start at the Leland Lodge with breakfast and about two hours of basic technique instruction, paddle setup and boat setup. We’ll then have students take turns on the Lawler Slider to hone the technique concepts.
- Friday Afternoon: Following the morning session, we’ll head down the hill to Nedows Bay Beach on North Lake Leelanau for a picnic lunch. Following lunch Oscar will lead the paddlers through a series of drills in the water with the paddle, then in the boat. Once Oscar is satisfied that the technique drills are thoroughly ingrained, we’ll transition to remounts, and have some fun with short race drills combining remounts and other safety skills.
- Note: If the waves are up on Friday afternoon, the intermediate/advanced group will head out for downwind instruction.
- Saturday Morning: We’ll start the morning with a discussion on diet, nutrition, strength, conditioning, and race training. Over the past two years this session has been very well received and had a significant positive impact on several of the students. Additionally last year on Saturday night, Oscar provided a downwind video review and analysis. This year, we’ll have that session mid morning on Saturday before we head out for the surfing session in the afternoon.
- Saturday Afternoon: We’ll head out in search of waves on Lake Michigan. The beginners will do out and back paddles from the beach. The intermediate/advanced paddlers will be shuttled for a downwind if conditions permit. If there is no wind and waves, we will line up a ski boat on North Lake Leelanau to surf behind
- Saturday Post Dinner: Free form discussion with Oscar and video review and analysis
Thursday Afternoon / Evening
- 5:00 – 6:30 pm “Loosen up” paddle (North Lake Leelanau and/or Lake Michigan)
- 7:30 – 10:00 pm Meet and greet at the lodge (Buffet dinner provided)
- 7:30 – 10:00 pm – Shopping Hours – all gear (excluding boats) will be available for purchase at 15% off
- 8:30 – 10:30 Coffee at the lodge, dry-land instruction, paddle setup, boat setup, & boat handling
- 10:30-11:45 Technique practice on the Lawler Slider
- 11:45 – 12:25 Head down the hill to Nedows Beach
- 12:30 – 1:15 Picnic Lunch (provided)
- 1:15 – 4:30 Technique drills and safety session
- 6:30-9:00 Adventure time / dinner on your own
- 8:30-10:15 Diet, nutrition, supplements, tools, training regimes
- 10:30 – 12:00 Downwind video analysis
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
- 1:30 – 5:00 Surfing Instruction (wind waves or boat wakes weather dependent)
- 7:00 – 9:00 Grand finale buffet dinner at the Leland Lodge (cash bar)
- 9:00 – ?? More Video review & stories with Oscar at the lodge
- North Lake Leelanau 1 minute from lodge
- Carp River – dead flat water / 1 minute from lodge
- Leland (open lake Michigan) – 1 minute from lodge
What to Bring
The Northern Michigan weather can do almost anything this time of year, but consistently we’ve seen average air temperatures peaking around 80 degrees. However the larger bodies of water can still be quite cold. I would estimate temperatures in the high 40s to high 50s. I recommend bringing .5 – 1.5 mm neoprene for the flat water inland lake sessions. For Lake Michigan, I recommend 3 mm neoprene or lightweight drysuits, 3mm booties, and a neoprene or hydra fleece hat.
Summary of What is Included with the Immersion Camp Package Cost: $600
- A minimum of 12 hours of Oscar Chalupsky educating (and entertaining) with a determination that few can match. He won’t stop until it permeates every cell in your body!
- Lunch on Friday
- Dinner on Thursday and Saturday Night
- Shuttling for downwinds (provided we have wind)
- 15% off all gear and accessories sold by TC SURFSKI (boats not included)
- 3 days with the kindest, most interesting, and passionate people you will ever meet
Please Send Us an E-mail to Register Now